Your Local Experienced Electrician in Ballarat and Nearby Areas!
Lashing storms, lightning, rain, and flash floods, that’s the weather update you hear when you check on the news these days in Ballarat.
But you can avoid potential dangers of the on-going severe weather conditions and make your home electrically safe by preparing your property for storms and flooding and knowing how to handle anything that runs on electricity.
Be safe with all electrical equipment and appliances
• Get a whole home surge protection to protect your appliances during voltage spikes during lightning.
• Install safety switches on all circuits and remember to test them as soon as the storm warning is issued.
• Be prepared. Know where to turn off your power including electricity, gas and water in case of an emergency.
• Any electrical equipment placed outside the home should be packed up and placed indoors where it’s safe.
• Turn off all electrical appliances as soon as the storm hits.
• Do not use a telephone connected to your landline as it can cause a potential electrical shock.
• In case of partial power loss or a complete black out, turn off all power points and plug out all equipment.
Be safe with your solar PV system
• Before the storm approaches, use the safe isolation procedure make sure you have shut off your solar PV system located near the invertor.
• Remember that shutting down the solar PV system only stops the invertor supplying electricity to the connected system. The panel will still be generating electricity and the wiring running from the panels to the invertor would still be live.
• Once the storm has hit, stay away from the panels or the wiring and do not try to shut it off during this time.
• Once the storm is over, call a licensed solar electrical contractor in Ballarat to check your system and all connected appliances before power can be turned on and the system starts functioning again.
Safety in case of electrical damage
• If the flooding or storm has hit the power supply connection to your
property you need to get your switch boards, wiring, electrical
equipment and all appliances checked before you can rest assured that
the electrical connection to your home is safe to use once again.
• Dispose of any appliances that have been damaged by the water and have been rendered unsafe for use by your electrician in Ballarat.
• Keep clear of damaged switchboards, fallen power lines or any other material that you believe may conduct electricity.
• Do not shower, do laundry or dishes during a storm or lightning.
• Do not try to attempt doing your own electrical work before, during or after the storm. Always call a local licensed electrician in Ballarat.
As licensed electricians in Ballarat, in case your property has been hit by the recent storms or flooding, call us for any repair and maintenance work to help restore electricity, equipment and appliances back to normal.