Your Local Experienced Electrician in Ballarat and Nearby Areas!

  • 40 Finlay st, Brown Hill
    Victoria, 3350
  • Opening Time
    24/7 Customer Service
  • Mail Us

03 May

Bad electrical wiring is a house fire or a serious shock waiting to happen.

Failure to get electrical wiring checked on a regular basis results in hundreds of homes setting ablaze across Australia.
While you may not be able to detect bigger issues with your wiring by yourself, a cursory check should be enough to raise a red flag warranting a thorough inspection of your home’s wiring by a professional electrician in Ballarat.

So what are some of the tell-tale signs of bad electrical wiring in your home? Let’s have a look:

1. Frequent circuit breaker trips

Your circuit breaker is designed to switch off when there is an overload on the circuit due to running too many appliances at the same time. But if you are having frequent power outages, blown fuses and tripped breakers without any apparent reason this should ring the bell for you and calls for professional help from a licensed electrician.

2. Flickering, buzzing or dimming lights

Unless you live in a haunted house, your lights should not be flickering like they do. This is not a ghost you need to call priest for; it’s your faulty wiring and you need an electrician right away.

If you notice that the flickering or dimming is happening when you turn on other appliances, it means your wiring cannot stand the load you are putting on it and needs to be upgraded.

3. Frayed or damaged wiring

Another tell-tale sign of bad electrical wiring is when the wiring starts getting exposed due to excessive use over the years. This is especially true for really old houses. The wiring is usually damaged by insects, rodents or other pests. Exposed wiring poses the threat of a potential electrical shock if touched and must be replaced.

4. Discolored or blackened power points

Looking at your home’s power outlets can reveal a number of things. Discoloured or blackend power points, or those that feel warm on touch or smell odd can all be signs that the wiring running through the wall is either already burnt or heats up when used. The same heating up can cause power point covers to melt, blacken, discolor or even cause a fire.

Put your family’s safety first

House fires and electrical shocks can be prevented if you get your house’s wiring checked every 2 to 3 years by a licensed electrician.

If need be, get your wiring updated so it can carry the load of your new, more power demanding appliances being run simultaneously. Older homes are at a greater risk of having bad wiring than the ones built in the last decade or so.

Remember, all accidents are avoidable if only we can be proactive enough, look for the warning signs and take action before its too late.

As licensed electricians in Ballarat, with over 2 decades of experience under our belts, we can upgrade your switch boards, repair or replace old wiring and damaged power points, and make you home safe for your family. Call us at 03 4333 9117.